We are excited to be announcing the launch of our telehealth platform for paediatric assessment and treatment.
Telehealth involves the use of technology for communication between practitioners and patients to host an online consultation. It has been shown to be as effective as face to face consults. Therapy options through telehealth include advice, education and exercise prescription – the essentials to paediatric intervention. The benefits of telehealth are phenomenal – less travel time, familiar environment, convenience, and more timely access to health care.
We are really excited about the potential to be able to reach more patients with this new platform. If you do have any questions, please get in touch!
How does it work?
Step 1: Send us an enquiry online (https://www.capitalclinicphysio.com.au/contact/) or call us on (02) 61536200. We’ll send you an initial assessment form with just a few questions about your child’s condition so we can be more targeted in our treatment.
Step 2: Once we have received the completed form we will assess whether telehealth is an appropriate option then give you a call to book the appointment time. We’ll send you an email reminder of the appointment time, with a link to our secure network that you will need to click on to activate the telehealth consult.
Step 3: When it’s time for your appointment, click on the link and you will be connected to your appointment.
What do you need?
- A mobile camera – whether it be a phone camera, laptop camera or external web-cam connected to a computer. We want to be able to see you!
- Some space – you don’t need much, but we do want to be able to see how you move, so a nice 4-6 metre squared space would be wonderful.
- Some equipment – for paediatric assessments, the age of the child will influence equipment required. We’ll send a list of equipment examples when we book in the appointment. Generally, it will involve a couple of toys, a ball and maybe a chair.
What will it involve?
We use the neurosensory motor developmental assessment (NSMDA ) for paediatric assessments. This is an extensive assessment tool that will help to find the areas of strength and weakness in children aged from 1 month to 6 years.
For in clinic assessments we work directly with your child to assess their gross and fine motor skills. Over telehealth, we will ask for parents or carers to fill this role for us. That may mean that there needs to be two adults present for the assessment: someone to interact with our wonderful patient (the child) and someone to work the camera. We will guide you very clearly what you need to do and what we need to see with the camera to accurately assess your child.
Regarding treatment, the reality with kids (and for adults) is that it matters most about what they do between appointments in terms of their homework and exercise tasks. We will guide you and set homework as normal over the telehealth consult, and check in on your progress at a follow up appointment.
If you do have any questions or concerns, as usual, you can always get in contact and we can guide you further! We like to be contactable to ensure we can facilitate the best outcomes.
What are the benefits?
- Access to treatment for those living remotely or who are unable to come into the clinic.
- Intervention for children with developmental delays
- Ability to treat children in a comfortable and familiar environment
- Engagement with parents and carers of patients
- Convenience of an assessment without having to leave the house
If you need us, just reach out! We are very excited to start working with you and your family!
Emily Evans has a special interest in the treatment of paediatric clients.